Rachel SpenceEssex Doulas Admin
Recognised Birth Doula and Mentored Post Natal Doula
Doula service offered:
Birth (Recognised since August 2018)
Lives in: Chelmsford CM1
Local info and availability:
I live 10 minutes from Broomfield hospital and am happy to travel to home births, birthing centres and hospitals up to an hours drive from Chelmsford including Colchester, Maldon, Braintree, Dunmow, Saffron Walden, Witham, Southend, Billericay, Ingatestone.
Birth listening service, 3 Step Rewind Programme (for parents suffering after a traumatic birth), Birth preparation sessions and workshops, The Wise Hippo Hypnobirthing classes and one to one sessions, Relax Breathe and Birth workshops, Antenatal support groups, Online support forums, Pregnancy Massage
Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy 🙂
I’m Rachel. I’m a Doula and Hypnobirthing Instructor (The Wise Hippo Programme). I also offer pregnancy massage, and a birth trauma recovery programme.
I started out my doula journey back in 2009 because I wanted to share the message that birth can and should be a positive, empowering experience for mothers.
I live in Chelmsford with my partner, my son and 2 daughters (aged 14,12 and 8), and our 6 year old rescue cat, Mitten. Our home is loud, and often full of hungry teenagers drinking tea, playing games, and raiding the snack cupboard! My eldest children have autism, and over the years, we have experienced the joys and struggles of parenting high needs children. My family life has taught me that with the loving support from those around us, our toughest challenges can become our greatest achievements.
During these years of parenting and supporting other parents, I’ve learnt the importance of making informed decisions, and of valuing ourselves as women and as mothers. There is always something new to learn, and I hope together we can try out new techniques and old wisdom.
I feel particularly passionate about working with you if you have a desire to regain confidence in yourself, and your body. Anxieties, past experiences and years of spending all our energy on others can hinder our ability to truly connect with ourselves, which is an essential part of a positive birth experience. I believe in you, and I would love to say to you: “Ladies, you really CAN do this!”.
Contact me if :
- You have suffered after a difficult birth and would like help moving forward
- You would like to learn more about Hypnobirthing
- You are planning a Homebirth
- You’ll be birthing at Hopsital
- You’re planning a Waterbirth
- You’d like support as a single mother
- You’ve been told you’ll have a caesarian birth and would like to know your options
- You’re planning a VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean)
- You’d like to know more about back to back labour and positioning variations
- You’ll be birthing after trauma or abuse
- You have suffered miscarriage and loss and are pregnant with your rainbow baby 🙂
- You suffer with food allergies/nutritional issues
- You’d like support with Breastfeeding/expressing
- You’d like support with Mixed/ formula feeding
- You’re looking for support birthing and raising high needs children/children with autism spectrum disorders
- You have another child/children and will be helping them to welcome siblings
- You suffer from M.E. or other disabilities
- You just want someone who believes you can do it!
I am happy to support all births in Chelmsford and the surrounding areas and have a particular passion for homebirth. For more information as to how I can work with you as a doula, email email@example.com or visit my website www.creativebirth.co.uk (currently a work in progress)
**PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR SPAM INBOX**
“During my labour at the hospital I was fortunate enough to have lovely and kind midwifes. The problem is, nowadays, a big chunk of their task is spent writing, keeping a protocol of what is happening during birth. Not to mention that every midwife is preoccupied with several women in labour at the same time so they keep on rushing in and out of the room.
This is where Rachel comes in. I absolutely wouldn’t have been able to have the birth I had without her. It was quite a long one but due to her presence I was able to persevere and use only gas & air and hypnobirthing breathing techniques as my ‘pain killers’. It was a truly transformative experience, in a positive sense of the word.
I thought giving birth is something I’ll certainly be able to manage on my own (as many women did throughout history). But in the past, women were usually supported by other women (their mothers, aunts, neighbours, friends). So Rachel is there to do exactly that; to support, calm you down and make you feel that you can absolutely do it.
I should also point out that I have one of the most supportive partners. No really I do. But even then, I felt that Rachel’s role was absolutely vital because she was looking after him too. If my partner was well supported then he was able to support me more effectively.
I can’t recommend taking a doula enough and Rachel is simply incredibly at what she does.
My partner and I are forever grateful to her for helping us to deliver our precious little boy into this world.” Irene & Martin, 2018 -birth cients
“Contacting you was the best thing I did (well, apart from having the baby)! and I would recommend you, and having a doula to every pregnant woman. Always grateful to you.” –Mel & Matt birth and hypnobirthing cients
“Last week we bought our baby boy into the world using The Wise Hippo techniques. The “soothing strokes” were amazing in the pool. We had a 16 hour labour which I don’t think is too bad for our first child. Thank you so much Rachel for being our Doula. We both recommend this to everyone!” –Katherine & Jonathan hypnobirthing clients
“ All through my pregnancy Rachel helped me to relax about the birthing process and keep me calm. In the event my labour was long and quite medicalised, but Rachel came to support me. I had been feeling overwhelmed and discouraged and was not progressing well. Rachel calmed me down and helped me to trust my body. Almost immediately after her visit I was 10cm!. I will always appreciate her calm, reassuring manner at that time and her positivity really helped me get through it.” -Sarah & Phil antenatal clients (who called for birth support)
As your doula, I offer friendly, non judgemental support. I will work with you to ensure you are fully informed on all of your birth choices and help you to work out your preferences.
Throughout our antenatal meetings, we will get to know each other so that you feel comfortable and relaxed in my presence. We can spend time refining your plan together with your partner and health care team, and you will deepen your understanding of what relaxes you and your best coping mechanisms for the intensity of pregnancy, birth and early motherhood. I believe that preparing in this way gives parents a much more positive experience and a feeling of being in control.
I do not promote any particular birth or pain relief plan, but gently guide and encourage you to define your own goals and desires. Similarly, I won’t give medical advice or make any decisions for you.
During labour and birth, my task is to help you stay comfortable and relaxed, and to ensure you feel safe and secure in your birthing space.
I can do this by using massage or light touch techniques, helping and encouraging you into positions that facilitate birth, and ensuring that you (and any birth partner), have the continuity of care that comes with having a familiar face by your side from pregnancy, into birth and beyond.
I believe in supporting new parents in finding their own parenting style. Your family is unique and will work in different ways from others. My role is to encourage and help you to build up your confidence as you find your way, and to prepare you for what you can expect in those early hours and days.
I can provide practical support, ensuring that you are being well looked after as you devote your time to looking after your precious bundle. I can offer help around the house, with older siblings, or taking baby out for a walk while you catch up on some much needed rest. You might choose to spend our time chatting through feeding and sleeping patterns or working on specific issues.
My desire is to help you create happy memories of these precious early days together as a family, or at least, just get a bit of much needed rest 🙂
My skills and experience:
- 2019 Trained as a 3 Step Rewind Instructor, working with survivors of Birth Trauma
- 2018-19 Ongoing postnatal support working for a new mother, parenting with disabilities
- 2018 Recognised Birth Doula- Doula Uk
- 2018 Phoenix Holistic School of Beauty & Nails – Current student of Swedish and Pregnancy Massage
- March 2018 completed Paediatric First Aid training
- 2015-2017 – worked as a carer for a young mother living with disabilities
- 2014 Completed The Wise Hippo teaching Programme -Certified Instructor
- 2012-present Birth and Postnatal Doula roles, working towards Doula Uk Recognition Programme
- 2012-14- co- lead a creche facility for under 3’s
- 2011-2015 Established and ran “The Milky-Bar” antenatal and postnatal support group
- 2009-2010- Completed Developing Doulas Doula UK accredited Doula Preparation Course
- 2008-2010 Admin work at School House Osteopathic Clinic
- 2004-2006 Youth work with children from a variety of backgrounds
- 2004-present: Experience caring for children with autism spectrum disorder and hearing impairment
- I hold a current DBS with OFSTED
- I have a full, clean driving licence
- I hold relevant insurance